Friday 9 May 2014

Soixante-neuf...

I reached this landmark birthday today. Soixante-neuf sounds better than sixty-nine. One short of the 'three-score-and-ten'... Hmmm.

Anyway, I had my usual jaunt around Sainsbury's this morning. The 'Big Issue' seller, Stan, wished me a happy birthday then asked what I was doing shopping on my birthday. I always do the weekly shop on a Friday (well, mostly). Nothing changes there.

I will be enjoying a steak dinner with my wife Rosalind, a bottle of Carta Roja Gran Reserva 2007 (a rich, intense red from Spain) and a couple of Aberlour single malts from Speyside.

Amongst my presents I received from my brother a 2 CD set of Chris Barber & His Jazz Band, recorded in 1956, 1957 and 1958 originally on the Pye label. The sound quality is astonishing and many of these tracks take me back to my youth, particularly 'Petite Fleur'. He also found a book by Malcolm John entitled 'Around Historic Kent' published in 1978 by Midas Books. It's a little gem. Each entry of village, town or other location is accompanied by a beautiful line drawing. Much nostalgia here for me being a 'Man of Kent' (born south of the River Medway - those born to the north are 'Kentish Men').

As I write this I am listening to the wonderful pianist Ivana Gavrić playing 'Grieg Piano Works'. My favourite is the Lyric Piece 'Notturno Op.54 No.4'. And I am awake, daydreaming... Here is a link to this piece played by Mark Farago:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/XOQPrb46uEY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe> 

And now, the sun is below the yardarm, somewhere - time for a birthday beer!

1 comment: