Wednesday 14 May 2014

Illegal Hunting in Malta

This is the content of a letter that I have received from Simon Kirby MP following various correspondences that we have shared on the subject of illegal hunting of migratory birds in Malta:

Dear Michael

RE DEBATE ON MIGRATORY BIRDS IN MALTA

We have previously corresponded on animal welfare issues, which as you know are something that I have taken a close interest in.

I have been very concerned at the reports that migratory birds are being illegally hunted in Malta. I know this is also a concern of many constituents.

Last week, I was able to take part in a Parliamentary debate on the issue and I put the point to the Minister that a barbaric practice like this, in the 21st Century, should not be permitted.

At the end of the debate, the Minister explained the discussions he has undertaken in meetings with the Maltese Government over this matter and the role the EU has in trying to manage the issue across Europe.

You can see the Minister’s response to the debate here (please see his comments from 4.50pm):

Please be assured I shall continue to watch this matter closely and monitor the actions taken by EU governments in dealing with the illegal hunting of migratory birds. I will follow up the debate in a few weeks to see what further action is being taken.

Kind regards
Simon

No comments:

Post a Comment