Saturday 3 May 2014

Jazz Funk on a Higher Plane

I don't often post about music. Wait a minute. Have I ever posted about music? Anyway, today I came across Patrice Rushen whilst on a trawl through iTunes. I find it hard to believe that I had not heard her music before now. This virtuoso of the jazz keyboard and R&B vocalist was new to me. What a find! This wonderful lady is now 60 years of age and has enjoyed phenomenal success as music director, jazz pianist and vocalist.

This album I am listening to as I type is a revelation: 'Signature' by Patrice Rushen. 10 tracks of sublime jazz/funk. A stunning album recorded in 1997. Her take on the track 'Sweetest Taboo' that I have on an album recorded by Sade, who I always associate it with, is quite simply superb. Her virtuosity on keyboards is stunning.

It is a joy to come across talent like this. Talent that has been around for many years and talent that I was ignorant of, until today.

If you enjoy this genre of music I recommend that you take a listen to Patrice. Simply divine stuff...

No comments:

Post a Comment