Wednesday 1 February 2017

Book #9 The Girl Before

The Girl BeforeThe Girl Before by J.P. Delaney
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I am really at a loss to understand how any reviewer can give The Girl Before just two stars. There have been comments about the book being compared with Gone Girl and others; I have seen none of this. Indeed, I had not seen or heard about it until I picked up a copy in a local bookstore and bought it. When my favourite author says: "I devoured it" and Lee Child said: "Dazzling - a pitch-perfect psychological thriller" - that was good enough for me. And like Peter James - I devoured it. The Girl Before is perfectly crafted, so well written, almost claustrophobic in the location of One Folgate Street, a unique, ultra-minimalist house designed by an enigmatic architect - with a tenancy agreement that is so comprehensive with a long list of exacting rules that most would be applicants are put off. But not Emma (then) and Jane (now). Jane - who wonders who lived here previously and where is she now? Has something terrible happened here - happened to the girl before? Emma's past and Jane's present become more and more entwined in this fast paced portrayal of psychological obsession.

An excellent, tense, page-turner. I love it.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment