Tuesday 21 February 2017

Book #15 The Birdwatcher

The BirdwatcherThe Birdwatcher by William Shaw
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

This really is a page turner! Started yesterday, finished today. A book has to be exceptional for me to read so quickly. Seriously, I could not put it down. It is a stand alone although I understand this will be the first in a new series by William Shaw featuring DS Alexandra Cupidi. The title alone had me hooked. I too am a birdwatcher and I know the area well where this thriller is located.

The main protagonist, Sergeant William South, has never investigated murder - and for good reason. Sgt South himself is a murderer. (Not a spoiler - you learn this on page 1). He is a passionate birdwatcher and lives on the shingle wilderness of Dunge, where the nuclear power station is located. He has few relationships but when his only friend is found brutally beaten to death the plot really moves into overdrive. Just what is the secret that has haunted South all his adult life? And how will he fare with the new DS Cupidi, recently attached to Kent police from the Met?

The past is superbly intertwined with present day as more and more is revealed about William South in earlier years. The plot is relentless, the characters are totally believable and the whole is a brilliantly constructed thriller set in this atmospheric area of England.

Utterly compelling, I loved it. One of the best thrillers I have read and I highly recommend it without reservation.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment