Monday 20 February 2017

Book #14 Night Trains: The Rise and Fall of the Sleeper

Night Trains: The Rise and Fall of the SleeperNight Trains: The Rise and Fall of the Sleeper by Andrew Martin
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I am a helpless train buff with a passion for steam locomotives. Andrew Martin has written several books about railways and in Night Trains his passion for the golden age of European sleeper trains shines through. I share his enthusiasm; my last journey on a night train was on The Caledonian Sleeper from London Euston to Inverness in Scotland. Most of the famous night trains have fallen on hard times and the services are disappearing. Whose heart would not skip a beat at the possibility of travelling on Le Train Bleu or The Orient Express ? In trying to recreate these journeys Martin encounters intriguing characters and some of his anecdotes are highly amusing.

In one way or another the author manages to replicate routes followed by: The Blue Train, The Nordland Railway, Paris-Venice, The Orient Express, The Sud Express and The Berlin Night Express as he traverses the continent during 'interesting times'.

For him - and me for that matter - trains can still be the most civilised way to travel. He has an indomitable spirit when it comes to recreating these journeys as he faces many logistical problems. These add to the enjoyment of this fascinating read.

If you are a train buff, like me, you will - I am sure - thoroughly enjoy this book.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment