Saturday 26 October 2013

The Gathering Storm

The barometer is dropping. There is a quiet presently complete with torrential rain. The south of  England is bracing for a tumultuous storm, the worst for 20 years. Not as bad as 1987, God forbid. We should expect trees toppling, roof tiles being dislodged, garden fences ripped asunder. The low pressure area is building over the south west atlantic and is headed this way. And I am concerned for my garden birds.

In tree ripping weather accompanied by torrential rain, where can they hide? Birds cannot fly in 80mph winds, as is forecast. It is virtually impossible to roost apart from in the most sheltered accommodation. And where might that be on the south coast?

I watched my garden birds today attempting to hang on to feeders already battered by fresh winds. It is going to get a lot worse, a lot worse. I have nurtured these garden visitors all year. I braved the rain today to top up the feeders. I see my birds lurking in the topmost branches of the lilac tree, waiting for the food to be replenished. I feel responsible for this population of extraordinary wildlife. I attracted them here and I won't let them down so far as food and water is concerned. But I cannot protect them from inclement weather. Where will they go when the storm hits? Will they survive monstrous winds that will no doubt wreak havoc with my garden trees?

Nature is about to throw its worst at the south coast and I will keep a vigil on my garden bird population....

No comments:

Post a Comment