Monday 21 October 2013

Autumn Wildlife to Watch Out For

I am already seeing an increase in the variety of wild birds visiting my garden as Autumn deepens and those foggy, damp days of November will soon be with us. The most numerous bird to the feeders is still the Goldfinch; the Dunnock is now back after several months' absence along with the Robin, several Starlings and Woodpigeons and an occasional pair of Collared Doves.

I am now anticipating the arrival of Blackcaps, those wintering warblers that are fans of high-energy fatballs and suet pellets. In winter, increasing numbers of blackcaps now make the journey here from Germany, while most of our breeding birds head off to Africa. I also love to see flocks of Long-tailed tits. These beautiful humbug-striped tits can often be seen clinging to hanging feeders as they forage in flocks of six or more. One winter I counted fifteen in my garden, albeit briefly.

Visits to deep freshwater sites around Sussex should result in sightings of the delightful Pochard, a duck that arrives here from eastern Europe. The flocks are mainly comprised of males because most females migrate to southern Europe.

Ros and I will be travelling down to Bristol soon for a long weekend and I hope to get some time birding on the Somerset Levels and, if time allows, along Severn Beach.


male Pochard
 

No comments:

Post a Comment