Saturday 24 March 2018

Book #23 Finding Gobi

Finding Gobi: The true story of a little dog and an incredible journeyFinding Gobi: The true story of a little dog and an incredible journey by Dion Leonard
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Dion Leonard is an ultramarathon runner, introduced to this extreme sport by his wife Lucja. They live in Edinburgh, Scotland. Dion is a 42 year old Australian; as his father came from Birmingham Dion is entitled to hold a British passport. In 2016 Dion took part in a 155 mile race across the Gobi Desert in China. As he set off on the first leg a small, stray dog became rather attached to him and kept pace with Dion over almost 80 miles of this arduous race. Dion fell in love with this little dog, a little dog with a big heart. Dion wore yellow gaiters above his running shoes: ”The day Gobi stood by my side and looked up from my yellow gaiters and stared into my eyes, she had a look about her that I’d never seen. She trusted me implicitly…" (Dion had named the dog, Gobi). He knew, come the end of the race, he would do everything possible to get Gobi back to the UK.

”They say it takes a village to raise a child. I think it takes almost half a planet to rescue a dog…" Dion had no idea of the momentous task he was about to undertake. The tale of Gobi had already made the news and a Crowdfunder appeal quickly raised thousands of pounds. News media around the world picked up and broadcast the story. But, the devil is in the detail…

I won’t say more without spoiling the details. Finding Gobi is a true story of determination, anguish, bureaucracy, paranoia, sorrow, tears, joy. And the unquenchable love for a little dog. A heartwarming tale for any dog lover.

You will love Finding Gobi.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment