Sunday 11 March 2018

Book #16 The Music Shop

The Music ShopThe Music Shop by Rachel Joyce
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Any book with 'music' in the title is like a magnet to me. I love my music. I have an eclectic collection. So does Frank, who owns The Music Shop. It's 1988 and Frank stocks music from every speed, size and genre - as long as it's vinyl. My kind of shop. Frank has an uncanny knack of finding his customers the music they need - helps them to learn how to listen and how to feel. It rather took my breath away when, from all the millions of albums there are, one of Frank's first recommendations happens to be one of my top ten: Waltz for Debby by Bill Evans. Uncanny.

Franks life revolves around close friends: Maud the tattooist, Father Anthony and Saturday Kit. That is, until the day Ilse Brauchmann walks into his life... A strangely still, mysterious woman who asks Frank to teach her about music.

The Music Shop is a beautifully crafted love story. It will make you laugh, it can make you cry. It captures the redemptive power of music. It reveres vinyl. It pulses with hope. So much wonderful music spreads through the pages and the Music Shop playlist can be listened to at www.bit.ly/TheMusicShopPlaylist.

I loved this book.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment