Sunday 20 August 2017

Book #54: Beginner's Watercolour: Simple Projects for Artists

Beginner's Watercolour: Simple projects for artists (First Crafts)Beginner's Watercolour: Simple projects for artists by Pavilion
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I have in the past dabbled with pencil sketching with a modicum of satisfaction. I like watercolours and have a number painted by local artists, framed and displayed. Watercolour seems to offer more scope to experiment with and I have decided to 'have a go'. I bought this ebook edition of Beginner's Watercolour, which is ideally suited to this format. The illustrations are bright and clear on a Kindle screen or, indeed, my iPad.

It is well laid out and the first chapter: Understanding Washes taught me a great deal about different wash techniques that can be used. I had no idea before reading this about how to approach the basics of watercolour. Chapter 2: Understanding colour, is particularly useful to the novice: mixing colours on paper or palette, basic colour theory, working with a limited palette, working with tone, etc. Chapter 3 is a real eye-opener: Adding Textures and Effects - spattering, sponging, stippling, sgraffito and scratching techniques. Chapter 4 shows different approaches to watercolour subjects - buildings, flowers, portraits, skies, water, seascapes and so on.

Each section is illustrated with step by step instructions and these are a revelation. I don't expect to ever produce anything as accomplished as these coloured steps depict but this delightful book has certainly given me the enthusiasm to produce watercolours that are, at least, pleasing to me!

Finding the time to practice is key. I usually have my head stuck in a book!

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment