Saturday 7 January 2017

Book #2 Five Give Up The Booze

Five Give Up The Booze (Enid Blyton for Grown Ups)Five Give Up The Booze by Bruno Vincent
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

A rather irreverent revisit to the Famous Five. What would Enid Blyton have made of this I wonder. I am not at all sure why Bruno Vincent wrote it and four others apparently in this series. Does it recognise any particular anniversary of the original publications that I, like so many youngsters, enjoyed so much in the 50s? I have no idea.

Julian, Dick, Anne, George and Timmy the dog are all here - now in their late twenties/early thirties. (Not sure about the dog!). Vincent has managed to capture the prose style of Blyton but it all seems rather pointless. He portrays the four as virtual alcoholics who decide to make a New Year's resolution to 'give up the booze', at least - until 1st February. It all seems so unnecessary in a silly plot that makes scant reference to the Famous Five's youthful exploits.

I wasn't impressed....

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment