Thursday 5 January 2017

Book #1/2017 Beethoven for a Later Age: The Journey of a String Quartet

Beethoven for a Later Age: The Journey of a String QuartetBeethoven for a Later Age: The Journey of a String Quartet by Edward Dusinberre
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

The perfect start to 2017. I love the music of Beethoven; who is not inspired by the great 'Eroica' symphony or the gentle beauty of the 'Pastoral'? His string quartets are astonishing in their range and accomplishment. The world-renowned Takács Quartet is a particular favourite of mine and I have many of their recordings. So, to find this book amongst my Christmas presents, written by the current first violinist Edward Dusinberre, was a most rewarding surprise. Dusinberre has filled this rôle for 23 years and his experience with this quartet is portrayed in a forensic examination of seven of the string quartets. What it means to be a member of a group of four, how they work together, how they rehearse, how they discuss interpretation and the musical terminology used by Beethoven. It has made me listen to this music with fresh ears and I have done just that as I progressed through this masterclass of string playing. It has been a wonderful journey and if, like me, you love classical chamber music, you will I am sure enjoy this fascinating work.

Highly recommended to music lovers.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment