Monday 6 October 2014

Tête-à-Tête

'Tête-à-Tête, the Lives and Loves of Simone de Beauvoir and Jean-Paul Sartre' is an engrossing read. I'm about half way through. I learned that Beauvoir had a secret tryst with Jacques-Laurent Bost in 1940 at the Hotel Poirier in the Place Emile Goudeau in Montmartre. 'They loved the square, with its chestnut trees, cast-iron fountain, and rundown artist studios (including Picasso's)'.

Wait a minute, I recognised the description. The Poirier is now the Timhotel, Montmartre where Ros and I have spent two wonderful city breaks in Paris. And yes, the cobbled square hasn't changed, the chestnut trees and cast-iron fountain is still there as is Picasso's studio.

I feel as though I have entered a moment in history...


The Timhotel in Place Emile Goudeau, Montmartre - complete with chestnut trees and cast-iron fountain

No comments:

Post a Comment