Saturday 2 August 2014

Robert Farnon - Manhattan Playboy (1959)

This piece for me epitomises London in the swinging sixties, even though it's entitled Manhattan Playboy! This is an exuberant composition by Robert Farnon and conjures up images of Carnaby Street when I was a young man (I know, that was a few years ago now!) Jean Shrimpton was considered the symbol of Swinging London, while Twiggy was named The Face of 1966. Mary Quant herself was the undisputed queen of the group known as The Chelsea Set, a hard-partying, socially eclectic mix of largely idle ‘toffs’ and talented working-class movers and shakers. And then there was me - a young man who loved the good life (and still does) and was captivated by such delightful music.

Take a listen and see what you think. If you are my age that is.......


No comments:

Post a Comment