Wednesday 6 August 2014

Phil Hollom - one of birdwatching's great pioneers

I was not aware until today that Phil Hollom died in June this year at the age of 102. I never met Phil Hollom but like most serious birders I knew his name. He was a founder member of the BTO and was naturally its oldest member when he died. I had no idea that Phil piloted Wellington bombers during the Second World War.


Phil was a keen birdwatcher from a very young age and was responsible for The Popular Handbook of British Birds that appeared in 1952 and a second volume, The Popular Handbook of Rarer British Birds published in 1960. But the guide that anchored Phil Hollom in the hearts and minds of the birdwatching fraternity was  A Field Guide to the Birds of Britain and Europe that he worked on with Guy Mountfort and Roger Tory Peterson, who produced the paintings. The guide was first published in 1954 and was, and is, a book which gave clear pointers on how to separate similar species, with maps and a succinct text. It was translated into 12 languages, racked up four editions and eighteen reprints. I purchased my copy, a reprint of the Fourth Edition, in 1985, 29 years ago. I still use it today. It contains some of the best bird paintings of any guide I know. 

It is always simply referred to as the Peterson, Mountfort and Hollom. That is what I always call it and any birder will know what you are talking about.

Thank you Phil. R.I.P..... 


No comments:

Post a Comment