Monday 21 July 2014

The Book Thief

I watched ‘The Book Thief’ last night on Blue-Ray. I had no idea what to expect as I have not read the book (yet) by Markus Zusak. But I will. This is one of the most profound and gentle films I have watched in a long time and I am at a loss to comprehend some of the thumbs-down votes by a number of so-called film critics. The film made me laugh, it unashamedly made me cry and above all it made me feel good.



The film tells the story of a girl, Liesel, (Sophie Nélisse) who transforms the lives of those around her during World War II, Germany. When her mother can no longer care for her Liesel is adopted by a German couple (OSCAR Winner Geoffrey Rush and OSCAR Nominee Emily Watson). Although she arrives illiterate, Liesel is encouraged to learn to read by her adoptive father. When the couple then take in Max (Ben Schnetzer), a Jew hiding from Hitler’s army, Liesel befriends him.

I won’t say more on how the story (fable even) develops save to say that I found it captivating and extremely powerful; a hauntingly beautiful film. Using the literary vehicle of “Death” as the narrator really is a masterstroke and works perfectly. It starts the film and finishes it but is never intrusive.

‘The Book Thief’ certainly joins my Top 10 film list.

No comments:

Post a Comment