Wednesday 9 April 2014

Favourite Perfumes

Not the usual kind of post for my blog but I happen to be purchasing a few presents for my wife's birthday coming soon. This usually includes some perfume; I know what Rosalind likes, I know what I like to buy for her and indeed what I like to buy for myself! So, just for personal interest, here is a list of some of the greatest perfumes there has ever been (in no particular order). If you would like to add any favourites of your own please do so by way of 'comment' - I might find some new indulgence!

Chanel No. 5 Parfum (Chanel) delicious from top note to drydown. Simply gorgeous.
Après l'Ondée (Guerlain) one of the twenty greatest perfumes of all time.
Joy Parfum (Jean Patou) smells huge, luscious and utterly wonderful.
Shalimar (Guerlain) extraordinary fragrance, deftly commands attention. Love it.
Bois des Ȋles (Chanel) over 80 years old and ageless, simply marvellous.
Private Collection (Estée Lauder) a fabulous floral chypre.
Arpège (Lanvin) elegant, nutty, woody floral - I know, I borrow it!
Rive Gauche (Yves Saint Laurent) the first perfume I bought for Ros, still a favourite.
Aromatics Elixir (Clinique) a room filling masterpiece.

And some of my favourites:

Azzaro pour Homme (Azzaro) "Un parfum pour les hommes qui aiment les femmes qui aiment les hommes..."; says it all!
Pour Monsieur (Chanel) a fresh chypre, the reference masculine fragrance.
Monsieur Balmain (Balmain) one of the best citrus fragrances of all time with an excellent sandalwood drydown.
Pour un Homme (Caron) lovely lavender with a touch of vanilla (quite difficult to find nowadays).
Eau Savage (Dior) for me, a masterpiece. Have worn it on and off for 30 odd years.

That's it. Long gone are the days of Brut, Old Spice and Tabac. How about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment