Monday 29 July 2013

Woody the Woodpigeon

I have a number of Woodpigeons Columba palumbas that visit my garden every day. They will hoover up the morsels from hanging fat ball feeders that drop to the floor, dispatched there by greedy Jackdaws (these guys can make a real mess of a fat ball  in minutes). Of late however my favourite Woodpigeon, who I have named 'Woody' (original eh) has developed a new talent. I have a hanging feeder that contains a mix of seed that is supposedly attractive to finches. My guy 'Woody' has figured out a way to hang on a nearby branch and access these seeds from one of the feeder ports. This guy is a real contortionist. He can now empty a full seed feeder in two days, which presents the dilemma of how often should I refill it? This feeder was intended for small passerines but I am impressed by 'Woody's' technique of hanging in the lilac tree to get to this food source. But this seed mix is expensive.

But I feel obliged to keep filling the feeder.....

No comments:

Post a Comment