Friday 26 July 2013

Monochrome

With more time on my hands I am striving to improve my photographic skills. I enjoy photography but understand that I need to spend more time in composing a shot and utilising the tools that I have, to a greater extent. Having the patience to set up a tripod for landscape shots is a good example. Learning the skills of using filters can extend the boundaries and transform simple photos into something far more creative.

I own far too many cameras and intend to develop a system around Canon optics in preference to much of the Nikon equipment I own. In particular I would like to upgrade to a full-frame DSLR such as the Canon EOS 6D. I currently use a Canon EOS 600D and a Nikon D7000 along with several compact cameras.

I particularly like to experiment with monochrome, either setting the camera to compose in that format or using Apple's Aperture software to manipulate frames post capture. Here is a photo of one of my cats, Oliver, that I captured in jpeg colour and then transposed to black and white.


I use the services of Whitewall Laboratories to produce stunning prints on Ilford Baryta paper. It's an expensive service but well worth it.  https://uk.whitewall.com/photo-lab/photo-print/baryt-paper?gclid=CMGroqWezrgCFaPHtAodISUAvQ#tjn=f&t=product-details


No comments:

Post a Comment