Monday 29 July 2013

Goldfinches


These beautiful, highly coloured finches with a bright red face and yellow wing patch first visited my garden on 24th December 2012 just 48 hours after I first located a feeder containing nyger seeds in my lilac tree. In 27 years of recording birds in my garden these were the first Goldfinches to be seen. Since this occasion I have added two feeders containing sunflower seeds and these have quickly become the food of choice. Seven months on and there is hardly a moment goes by when I do not hear their delightful liquid, twittering song and call and see as many as six in the lilac tree. Most encouraging is that the number now includes two juvenile birds that have not yet developed their red faces.

They are a delight to watch and incredible time wasters.


No comments:

Post a Comment