Saturday 1 July 2017

Book #41 Bill Evans: How My Heart Sings

Bill Evans: How My Heart SingsBill Evans: How My Heart Sings by Peter Pettinger
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

It has taken me a while to read and digest this enthralling book about Bill Evans as I constantly cross-referenced Pettinger's forensic examination of the recorded works of Evans, my favourite jazz pianist of all time, with my own comprehensive collection of his music - on CD, on vinyl and some by download. This approach has made the reading of this classic biography all the more enjoyable and I know I will be revisiting the text on a regular basis.

Peter Pettinger was a keen pianist. His classical training took place at the Royal Academy of Music, where he studied with pianist Vivian Langrish and composer Hugh Wood. He was also intrigued by jazz music, in particular that of Dave Brubeck and of course, Bill Evans. The book is laid out in chronological order as Pettinger discusses the making of every important Evan's recording and the discography lists 168 of these.

Evans was vexed by heroin addiction for much of his career (as were so many jazz musicians of his era) and suffered with chronic, low-grade hepatitis. Evans's life could be summed up by both personal tragedies and commercial successes. His technique stood head and shoulders above any other jazz pianist of his time. His compositional methods and approach to ensemble playing have become his legacy.

As I read How My Heart Sings I found myself listening to Sunday At The Village Vanguard recorded 25th June 1961, with Scott LaFaro on bass and Paul Motian on drums, considered by many to be his best triumvirate. LaFaro was just 25 years old, a bassist of unbelievable talent. Ten days after this set was recorded LaFaro was driving back late to his parents' home in upstate New York when he veered off into a tree and was killed outright. Evans had embraced LaFaro as a kind of alter ego. The bass player's death killed something in the pianist himself. Evans and Motian were both devastated at the news. Evans did not play for many months after this, not even at home. I cannot listen to this album without getting rather choked up.... Just one of the tragedies that befell this giant of jazz composition and unique style of playing.

If you enjoy jazz, especially jazz piano, you should get yourself a copy of this wonderful, critical commentary on the life of Bill Evans, who died on Monday September 15th 1980, aged just 51. He lies at rest in Baton Rouge, Louisiana. There is not a week goes by that I do not listen to something played by this jazz legend....

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment