Wednesday 22 June 2016

Remain or Leave

Tomorrow will be one of the most important days in the history of the United Kingdom. Whether or not you vote to remain in or leave the EU. I have followed most of the televised debates with a sense of alacrity, only to become disenchanted with the appalling abuse thrown by both sides towards the other. I am left with the same feeling of despondency over the behaviour of so many individuals on social media. This ‘debate’ has polarised our nation. Knuckle-draggers have emerged on both sides, hurling vitriolic comments at each other. If you are in the ‘Remain’ camp you are prepared to surrender every last vestige of our sovereignty to Brussels, if you are in the ‘Leave’ camp you are a racist. Where on earth do these confounded arguments come from? Those of you who cannot debate without dissolute finger pointing should perhaps reconsider your behaviour when it comes to posting on social media. I have read so much unfounded, ill-conceived comment from both sides, enough to make me wonder if perfidy is rampant in our society. I have yet to read any comment on social media that is not at least condescending or at worst, derogatory to the ‘other side’. I know my own mind and I know how I have decided to vote in this referendum. We do live in a democracy (well, just about) and if you are a friend of mine I respect your decision to vote either way. I trust that you will respect mine. I will be voting to Leave and my decision is based upon my experiences of dealing with EU bureaucracy during my tenure as Managing Director of a company in Brighton. I built a thriving company (and it still is after me) by importing materials from disparate countries such as China, India, Indonesia, South America and Canada. Those same materials sourced from EU suppliers were too expensive and often subjected to insurmountable EU restrictions. My export markets were developed along the same lines - to build markets outside of the EU, although much sales business was conducted with UK customers. UK supplier to UK customer. During my tenure as Managing Director I wrote on several occasions to the EU Commissioner on subjects of EU doctrine that concerned me. Not once did I receive the courtesy of a reply. EU diktat destroyed an opportunity I had developed for a product that realised over £200,000 in sales, to countries outside of the EU. Not a decision made here in the UK but one I had to reluctantly accept. That decision came from Brussels. I am not therefore surprised that so many owners of small businesses believe that we have better prospects when we shake off the influence of the mandarins of Brussels.

No comments:

Post a Comment