Wednesday 16 March 2016

Book #22 The Shepherd's Life: A Tale of the Lake District

The Shepherd's Life: A Tale of the Lake DistrictThe Shepherd's Life: A Tale of the Lake District by James Rebanks
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I was born in the country, in the county of Kent. I spent most of my early school holidays on my uncle's farm. I am a countryman at heart. I realise now though, that I knew little about sheep farming. James Rebanks does, as did his father and his grandfather and generations before them. The Shepherd's Life is a book about continuity and roots and a sense of belonging. It is a beguiling story told by a remarkable man. A story of the seasons, of hardship, of determination against the elements and describes in vivid prose the hard labour of a shepherd's life. It made me look at the countryside differently through the eyes of a man who loves his way of life. It is Rebanks' autobiography about himself, his family, the hills and the fells of the Lake District. it is beautifully written, unsentimental, vivid, profound, outstanding.

If you have even a passing interest in the countryside and the farming community you should read this glorious book.

I loved it. I am sure I will read it again.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment