Thursday 3 March 2016

Book #19 The Bones of You

The Bones of YouThe Bones of You by Debbie Howells
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

For a debut psychological thriller/whodunnit author Debbie Howells has certainly left the blocks full tilt. The Bones of You is an accomplished first book. I seldom get through with a 370 page read in two days. It speaks volumes for my overall enjoyment and yet hides a level of irritation that developed as I progressed with it.

When eighteen-year-old Rosanna (Rosie) Anderson disappears, the idyllic village where she lived will never be the same again. Local gardener Kate is struck with guilt. She had come to know Rosie well, and thought she understood her – perhaps better even than Rosie’s own mother. Rosanna dies before we meet her, right there on page 2. Every alternate chapter belongs to the voice of Rosie who spills clues to her attacker like confetti. And whilst I raced to finish this book it was this plot structure that began to annoy me. It went on just a little too long.

A dark side of suburban England is very well portrayed. Rosie came from a loving family and she had her whole life ahead of her. Who could possibly want to harm her? And why? The clues are there and I did figure out the identity of her killer well before the end. This did not however spoil the enjoyment; I had to get to the end to be sure.

The Bones of You is well worth a read despite that little irritation I referred to. Give it a go.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment