Sunday 28 February 2016

Book #17 The Outrun

The OutrunThe Outrun by Amy Liptrot
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

This is a beautiful read, stark and unflinching as Amy Liptrot recounts the story of her alcoholism, how she faced her demons and has stayed 'dry' for more than two years. She returns to Orkney after more than a decade away, drawn back to the Outrun on the sheep farm where she grew up. Her father's mental illness was as much a part of her childhood as the wild, carefree existence on Orkney. In spite of this she moved to London and a hedonistic lifestyle that virtually destroyed her. Her move back to Orkney proves to be her redemption, trying to come to terms with what happened to her in London. She slowly makes the journey towards recovery from addiction.

Amy's writing has a prose-like quality that sings: "...when my heart soars. I see starlings flocking, hundreds of individual birds forming and re-forming shapes in liquid geometry, outwitting predators and following each other to find a place to roost for the night. The wind blows me from behind so strongly that I'm running and laughing".

Her honesty is often overwhelming and yet also exhilarating. Her descriptions of these Northern Isles and the small communities that live here draws me more and more to a visit. Captivating.

I loved it.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment