Wednesday 8 April 2015

Retired to the Guitar

I haven't touched a guitar for more than 30 years. When I lived in the Netherlands I took lessons from Peter van Dorst, who still features in the top echelon of guitarists in that country. Circumstances dictated that my lessons were interrupted; I had to move back to the UK. For many reasons I gave up trying to play the guitar, something that I regret a great deal. I am retired now. I have tried to get to grips with playing the harmonica and find it really difficult to 'bend' a note, which doesn't help if you want to play "The Blues"!

And so, at this tender age of 69, I have decided to take up the guitar again. That's right. After more than 30 years, with fingers considerably less supple than they were, I want to play the guitar. Nothing fancy. Start with the chords I remember (I think!) And for no other reason than personal pleasure. Something to practice in a fixed routine. Daily. That's the plan. So, I have invested in a Yamaha FG700MS Acoustic supplied by Sheehans Music. These guys are experts in guitars.  And this is the guitar I have ordered.

http://www.sheehans.com/product/yamaha-fg700ms-acoustic-guitar/fg700ms?TRE00003

Sheehan's experienced technicians will complete a free set up before shipping the guitar. This is particularly important to get the perfect 'action' (something I remember all too well) so that the strings are situated at the optimum distance above the fret board. (ie. minimum finger pressure required in front of a fret to achieve the required sound).

In the meantime I have started to do finger exercises to improve (hopefully!) dexterity. Helped with doses of Glucosamine and Celadrin! When the guitar arrives I am determined to set aside one hour a day to practice and perhaps 20 minutes for 'noodling' (look it up!)


No comments:

Post a Comment