Monday 8 December 2014

The Perils of the Night

Sidney Chambers and The Perils of the Night (Grantchester Mysteries 2)Sidney Chambers and The Perils of the Night by James Runcie
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

The second volume of the Grantchester Mysteries held me spellbound. An evocation of childhood for me, the wonderful pastoral atmosphere that surrounds the gentle Canon Sidney Chambers and the dour Inspector Geordie Keating, has much to remind me of my childhood growing up in a country parish. Runcie's ability to capture the atmosphere of the 50s and 60s with reference to actual events adds to the enjoyment. His description over several pages of a village cricket match held me in suspense, an erudite ball to ball commentary that would have graced the BBC Light programme of my youth. For those who think that the Grantchester series is merely a number of short stories, think on. They are all linked, which adds to the pleasure if you have read 'Sidney Chambers and the Shadow of Death'. If you haven't then start with that highly recommended volume. There is a dollop of Midsomer Murders here, shades of Morse that would delight Colin Dexter, particularly in "Appointment in Berlin", and the beguiling romance between Sidney and Hildegard. As Country Life said: "Totally English, beautifully written, perfectly in period and wryly funny". I loved this book.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment