Wednesday 24 September 2014

'Riley' - for the love of a cat

The following is the text of an email I sent this afternoon. It helps to explain the story of 'Riley' - the cat in Rye Harbour village:

Hello André

Ros and I are back home from our wonderful break at Harbour Lights; it’s 46 miles door-to-door and took 1½ hours.

It was a pleasure meeting you and I have added to you to the short list of people who I consider friends. Thank you again for the World Music recordings you burned for me. We played one in the car on the way home and it helped to subdue the rather melancholy mood I was in - still am. It’s all about Riley…

The little guy has captured our hearts; we never asked him to walk into our lives - but he did. Perhaps we shouldn’t have fed him - but we did. Perhaps we shouldn’t have allowed him access to the cottage - but we did. In just four days we came to love that cat. Yesterday evening he arrived for his tea; this was after you and I had spoken at length outside the pub. Riley had his tea and we had our dinner. Ros went to watch TV and Riley climbed into her lap and went fast asleep….


Come 10pm we had to part company. I opened the door at the back of the cottage to see if he would leave of his own accord. Several minutes passed before he ventured out onto the patio, washed himself for a few moments - and then he followed the garden path - and was gone.

This morning as I packed items into the car he appeared and wandered in the front door. We had one sachet of food left and gave him that. And of course we had to carry him out before we left. As over-sentimental as it might sound, it broke my heart. Looking at him as I drove away, on my mind for most of the journey, still is.

Please do let me know what develops with Riley’s well-being. So concerned now about the colder nights and inclement weather. If no-one offers him a permanent home, then he has one here with Ros and me and Bertie and Oliver, our two cats. That is our commitment. Perhaps he would be happier in the environment he has come to know but that is no substitute for the love to be found in a permanent home.

Do keep in touch André and send news of Riley....

No comments:

Post a Comment