Wednesday 25 June 2014

Memories of Childhood

I was born in Teynham, a small village in Kent, at 2:00am on 9th May 1945. Victory in Europe celebrations were in full swing as my mother gave birth to me in the back bedroom of a terraced house where the occupants had witnessed, first hand, the Battle of Britain. Dogfights between the RAF and the German Luftwaffe were everyday occurrences in 1940 and my mother recounted tales of fierce battles that were watched overhead in this corner of Southeast England. The Luftwaffe often jettisoned bombs overhead and one fell close and destroyed a church not 100 metres from where I was born...

My father joined the army in 1939, the Cheshire Regiment, an infantry brigade heavily armed with machine guns. 24 hours before mobilisation for North Africa and ultimately the Al Alamein campaign his commanding officer seconded my dad to the Royal Engineers, as it became news that he could drive steam locomotives. Ultimately he drove ammunition trains for the Western Front campaign.

His love for these magnificent locomotives began when he served an apprenticeship in Crewe locomotive works and his love rubbed off on me. From the age of six I lived with my parents in Rugby, Warwickshire, a focal point for the LMS railway (London, Midland, Scottish). Inevitably, I became a 'trainspotter' and from the age of around nine would spend hours at the embankment south of Rugby station and record all the locomotives seen.

I spent my school holidays at the place of my birth - Teynham - with my maternal grandparents. And my love of steam locos came with me. I would encamp at Teynham railway station and see the 'Golden Arrow' express thunder through the station, hauled by a King Arthur class, or Schools class, or, on special days, a West Country or Battle of Britain class Bulleid Pacific locomotive, with a golden arrow emblazoned to the front smoke-box and on the boiler sides.

This love of steam has carried me through many years and into railway modelling. And the Southern region is no better represented than by the 'School' class 4-4-0s, represented here by "DOVER" a locomotive that I saw as a child and the Hornby model of which has just been added to my collection.


The age of steam is now a distant memory, a memory of my childhood, but an era that still reminds me of days of innocence and fulfilment. Days spent with mates and Ian Allen record books, a notebook and pencil, a bag of sandwiches and a bottle of dandelion & burdock pop, and above all, a sense of adventure and anticipation as those steam locomotives thundered through....  
 

No comments:

Post a Comment