Tuesday 28 August 2018

Book #53 My Life: It's a Long Story

My Life: It's a Long StoryMy Life: It's a Long Story by Willie Nelson
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

"Roll me up and smoke me when I die" Yes, I've got the t-shirt!

I have loved Willie Nelson's music for longer than I can remember and in his 8th decade his voice has mellowed but still resonates with me (might be something to do with all the cannabis he has smoked though!). Willie Nelson is an American country music singer-songwriter, as well as an author, poet, actor and activist. He was inducted in the Country Music Hall of Fame in 1993, when he was sixty years of age.

My Life: It's a Long Story is the definitive autobiography of Willie Nelson. "Songs come easy to me. I've written hundreds of them. I see them as little stories that fall out of our lives and imaginations. If I have to struggle to write a song, I stop before I start. I figure if it don't flow easy, it's not meant to be"

Nelson is no saint. Married four times with numerous children this is a story of restlessness and the purity of the moment and living right. From his childhood in Abbott, Texas to the Pacific Northwest, from Nashville to Hawaii and all the way back again. This is a story of true love, wild times, best friends and bar-rooms, with a musical soundtrack ripping right through it. His music can make me laugh and make me cry. His book leaves no stone unturned, a story told as clear as a Texas sky.

I loved it and I want to visit Abbott, Texas before someone rolls me up....



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment