Saturday 11 August 2018

Book #51 You Let Me In

You Let Me InYou Let Me In by Lucy Clarke
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

So I thought - 400 odd pages, read 100 pages a day and finish in four days. Yeah, right! Be prepared for You Let Me In to grip you from the get go. I could not put this down - well, had to to get some sleep - finished in two sittings - breathless! Wow! An author, Lucy Clarke, writing about an author, Elle Fielding. An internationally recognised and highly successful author based on the publication of her first book. Fame, wealth and enough income to buy a cliff-top property in Cornwall and rebuild a stunning home with beautiful sea views. Sounds good, huh? And Elle is busy writing her second book - oh dear - insomnia, writer's block and a publication deadline to meet. And if she doesn't her world will come collapsing down...

"Have a sense of how your story will end - but allow yourself to step into your character's shoes and be surprised." Author Elle Fielding.

Sounds good. But Elle needs to bolster her income to cover her mortgage and is persuaded to rent her house through Airbnb for a fortnight whilst she attends a book function in France. That sent an early shiver down my spine. Heard too many tales of woe about such rentals. Now, when Elle returns, watch out for the suspense to start. It will creep under your skin. Menace abounds in spades. Who the hell has been in Elle's house? Small events build to something sinister. Does her sister Fiona know anything about these events? After all it was her who welcomed the Airbnb renters. Didn't she?

I cannot say much more about the plot without spoiling too much. But I must say this. You Let Me In has one of the most unexpected twists I have ever read. But wait, a final and further outrageous twist that left me completely blindsided!

Lucy Clarke has written an absolute cracker, one of my best reads this year and highly recommended.

My thanks to HarperCollins publishers, NetGalley and Lucy Clarke for my ARC.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment