Monday 18 June 2018

Book #43 The Break Line

The Break LineThe Break Line by James Brabazon
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

A state sponsored killer, Max McLean, sent on a final mission to Sierra Leone to kill a ‘professor’ who appears to be working with the Russians. Max is a UKN, an Unknown, his very existence denied by those who use his services. Has he been sold out? Is he expected to return after his mission?

I cannot reveal the true identity of the ‘professor’ without revealing too much of the plot. But he has created an army of berserkers with the use of a precursor to the Ebola virus, made them immune, devolved into an original state, men without fear or regret or judgement, unrestrained by their own humanity - true prelapsarian. It all sounds like a preposterous theory.

I struggled to complete this book. It is so full of the most horrific violence I have ever encountered in the written word. Much of it truly sickening. The Break Line came close on several occasions to becoming a DNF but I felt obliged to finish as this is an ARC and I owed it to the publishers for giving me the opportunity to read. The ending does have redeeming features as it provided answers to what really happened ‘out there’.

It just wasn’t for me.

With thanks to Penguin UK-Michael Joseph and NetGalley.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment