Wednesday 8 November 2017

Book #72 The Crossing Places

The Crossing Places (Ruth Galloway, #1)The Crossing Places by Elly Griffiths
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I have rather lost count of how many 'series' I subscribe to. I am always in catch up mode! The Crossing Places came as a recommendation - something different - a forensic archeologist, Dr Ruth Galloway an inspired creation. I was not aware that this is just #1 in a series currently numbering eight! Another series added to the ever lengthening TBR list...

Ruth Galloway is a very likeable protagonist; not only because she likes books and cats (good enough for me); she is not the stereotypical character - rather overweight, no eye for fashion, down-to-earth and living in an isolated cottage on the edge of the North Norfolk Saltmarsh - a bleak, rather menacing location where the sky meets the sea.... Ruth is Head of Forensic Archaeology at the University of North Norfolk.

Ruth's life becomes rather more complicated when she is approached by DCI Harry Nelson; he wants her help in identifying bones found buried on the marshes. Are they the remains of a local girl who disappeared ten years ago? And all the while Harry has been taunted with a series of anonymous notes about ritual sacrifice - before a second child goes missing. Events that propel Ruth into danger and a fast-paced, gripping and terrifying ending and a thread left hanging....

Well written, clever plotting and highly recommended. I guess I had better order #2...


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment