Thursday 1 June 2017

Book #35 A Song From Dead Lips

A Song From Dead Lips (Breen and Tozer, #1)A Song From Dead Lips by William Shaw
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Don't they say if you remember the 60s you weren't there? Well, I do and I was. And William Shaw's A Song From Dead Lips is a perfect evocation of this period. Brought back so many memories for me: Abbey Road, The Beatles, St. John's Wood, Biafra (remember that - the bitter civil war in Nigeria?) and so much more. Social turmoil, class conflict, pop culture (remember Afghan coats?) - I had one, much to my parents dismay...

We meet DS Cathal Breen and WPC Helen Tozer - an odd combination; a somewhat disaffected sergeant of Irish origins, an outcast in the Marylebone CID, and the feisty Tozer, a female copper in a force when sexism was rife. Breen and Tozer investigate the murder of a nameless young woman found naked and strangled in an alley on Abbey Road, in a plot that is gripping yet slow burning, impeccably researched with pitch perfect period detail.

Police procedurals don't get any better and William Shaw has pretty much made the 60s his domain. It doesn't matter whether or not you remember this period, there is so much to enjoy here.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment