Monday 28 November 2016

Book #82 Mission To Paris

Mission to ParisMission to Paris by Alan Furst
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

This book had languished on my TBR list for far too long. I had taken too much notice of poor reviews. I should have known better. I have long been a fan of Alan Furst although my last read was several years ago. Mission To Paris is a slow-burner. There are pages where nothing much seems to happen. But throughout there is a palpable sense of menace in the autumn of 1938 in Paris where the possibility of war appeared unavoidable.

Frederic Stahl, a Hollywood film star born in Vienna, travels from California to the boulevards of Paris. He is to star in a film Après La Guerre. He is ill-prepared for the circumstances that overtake him as he is drawn into a clandestine world of espionage and overt propaganda from the Nazi organisation and the chilling heart of the Third Reich. Will Stahl inadvertently become an agent of influence? Will he put himself in harm’s way as German operatives track him across Paris? To what end?

Furst’s knowledge of this period of history is second to none. His familiarity with Paris is comprehensive. His ability to instil a simple sentence with a whiff of something sinister is pitch-perfect.

If you are a fan of Alan Furst and you haven’t yet read Mission To Paris I would recommend that you do. I loved it.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment