Thursday 21 July 2016

Book #45 The Darkest Secret

The Darkest SecretThe Darkest Secret by Alex Marwood
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

This is a dark, twisty thriller, filled with loathsome people. I have seldom before come across such a cast of characters with no redeeming qualities, save perhaps Camille (Mila) and Ruby. I first came across Alex Marwood’s work when I read The Wicked Girls back in 2012 and I started this read with a great deal of anticipation. I was not disappointed with this story of very rich people, a missing twin and an ill-fated weekend. When 3-year-old Coco Jackson disappeared from a huge, expensive mansion in one of Britain’s classiest neighbourhoods, she left behind an enduring modern mystery. The story shifts from the weekend Coco vanished in 2004 to the present. We are faced with a boatload of characters at both ends of the time-scale. You would not want to party with this lot given their toxic relationships and family secrets. Beautifully structured, suspenseful and chilling, a mystery revealed from multiple viewpoints and a triple whammy at the end. Pure class. I loved it.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment