Friday 15 April 2016

Book #29 Darkside

DarksideDarkside by Belinda Bauer
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

It has taken me over a week to read Darkside. Not because I did not enjoy the book, more to do with time taken up with garden maintenance and replacing fence panels. This thriller deserves better as I did struggle somewhat to remember who the various characters were. And that is a shame because this is my third read from Belinda Bauer - it's compelling, original and brilliant. Wonderful subliminal nods to her previous book Blacklands, characters turning up in cameo rĂ´les. A great touch, although I understand that Darkside is the 2nd book in a trilogy known as Exmoor. The location is the same - the close-knit village of Shipcott and local policeman Jonas Holly is faced with his first murder investigation. This is handled however by detectives from Taunton under SIO Detective Chief Inspector Marvel, a nasty piece of work, an abrasive bully and a borderline alcoholic. He hates the village, he hates the locals and most of all he hates Jonas, despises him for what he sees as ineptitude. Jonas is soon distracted by an anonymous letter, accusing him of failing to do his job. Trying to cope with this and caring for his wife Lucy who suffers from MS is a strain that at times becomes unbearable. Bauer's use of counting down the days to the final denouement is relentless and if you guess the final outcome you are a better detective than me!

If you have read Blacklands you will enjoy this; if you haven't do read Blacklands first.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment