Sunday 3 April 2016

Book #26 A Whole Life

A Whole LifeA Whole Life by Robert Seethaler
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

A Whole Life is a gentle, tender work devoid of sentimentality yet so evocative and moving in its slim 149 pages. Vienna born Robert Seethaler grew up in Germany and moved to Berlin in 1998. His candidly, simple work has been sensitively translated into English by Charlotte Collins and published within a year of its German publication.

I won't dwell on the story line; its physical evocation of the remote mountain village setting and understated melancholy touched me deeply. The whole life story of Andreas Eggar, a solemn man of few words but deep, complex feeling that he seldom articulates. The daunting beauty of A Whole Life lingers in my mind. It is a profound, wise and humane novel that I will not forget.

Highly recommended.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment