Thursday 31 December 2015

Book #60 The Starlings & Other Stories

The Starlings & Other StoriesThe Starlings & Other Stories by Ann Cleeves
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Twelve photographs taken by David Wilson in Pembrokeshire are used by twelve authors to inspire short stories; interpret what they see and invest their own narrative into the photograph. An unusual concept that has worked reasonably well. But for all that I was left somewhat disappointed. Some of the endings were weak and needed more. One contained two continuity howlers, which I am surprised were not spotted by an editor or proof reader. See if you spot them.

My favourites were The Starlings by Ann Cleeves in which she reprises Vera Stanhope; The Man Who Didn't Breathe by Jim Kelly; Mountains Out Of Molehills by Valerie Laws - full of menace, and Sorted by Toby Forward that reminded me so much of Gone Girl.

So, some entertaining stories, some not so good. Overall 3.5 stars from me with my 60th and last book for 2015.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment