Thursday 24 December 2015

Book #58 The Monogram Murders

The Monogram MurdersThe Monogram Murders by Sophie Hannah
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

The little grey cells are back in this resurrection of Hercule Poirot by Sophie Hannah. Not so sure that I like the rather irascible Poirot that she depicts here, often sarcastic in his rĂ´le of mentor to Detective Edward Catchpool from Scotland Yard. Poirot leads and Catchpool follows - how on earth did he (Catchpool) become a detective I wonder. Nevertheless this has a wonderful, intricate plot, something of a locked-room mystery, set in 1929 at the Bloxham Hotel in London. Poirot’s powers of deduction have not diminished at all in the hands of Hannah.

Agatha Christie would probably have endorsed this new mystery but I am not so sure that David Suchet could be persuaded to reprise his portrayal of the Belgian detective in a TV dramatisation.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment