Friday 14 August 2015

Scorper by Rob Magnuson Smith

ScorperScorper by Rob Magnuson Smith
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Scorper, noun, a tool used to scoop out broad areas when engraving wood or metal.

I didn’t know that either until I read this strange book. I was attracted to it in Waterstones bookshop by the dust jacket, which contains an etching of a village I know well: Ditchling, located to the north of Brighton and the South Downs. And the first line of the book: “You are on your way to Ditchling”. What’s not to like I thought.

Scorper is an uncanny and sinister tale of an eccentric American visitor to this small Sussex village, searching for stories about his grandfather. A tale of twitching curtains, severed hands and peculiar sexual practices. A book about Eric Gill's artistic legacy, his despicable behaviour and enduring influence. Strangely comic, often sinister, often incomprehensible, but nevertheless compelling reading.

Is it a ghost story, is it Gothic? It is certainly dark and uncomfortable. I am edging towards awarding four stars....

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment