Sunday 30 August 2015

Messages of Condolence

Thank you FB friends for all your messages of condolence. They really do help. You are all special people to me. You are the best reason to be on Facebook. Over 40 years of sharing our lives with cats Ros and I have said goodbye to many. Jemima, Jennie, Squidgy, Budda, Merry, Whisky...

Bertie, though, was very special. He suffered a RTA seven years ago when we thought we would lose him. 72 hours in intensive care, jaw broken in two places, a severe bang to the head, tail broken - had to be amputated. But he pulled through.

He had no fear. Shortly after this major incident he was seen atop roofs chasing seagulls. He was always so vocal. He had such a presence. He captured the hearts of everyone who knew him.

We found him in a pet-shop window, looking lost and forlorn. 10 weeks old, we took him away from that place. As a kitten he had very large ears, that he eventually 'grew into'. More than any cat I have known, he 'told' you what was going on. More than any he became my number one lap cat. Loved a cuddle, purred his head off, and let you know who was boss.

I retired 2½ years ago and Bertie became my constant companion during that time. I knew his every mood. Can a cat become a best friend? Bertie did. He would wake me in the morning with a dab on the nose. Every morning. Weekends included. No nonsense. 'Time to get up, Dad'. Oliver was his constant companion. Oliver is now - lost. He wanders around the house and garden, looking for Bertie. Have you ever seen tears in the eyes of a cat? I have. And they mirror my own. I have not experienced such profound grief before over the loss of a beloved pet. Bertie fills my waking hours. I loved you so much and I miss you. I will always miss you....

No comments:

Post a Comment