Monday 26 January 2015

The Mini Egg Revolution

Poultry farmers from Ditchling, Sussex have helped to raise the issue of food waste – with a helping hand from TV chef Jamie Oliver.

Susie and Danny Macmillan who run The Mac’s Farm in Dumbrells Court appeared on Channel 4’s Friday Night Feast on 9th January explaining how they lose around £60,000 a year because no one eats little eggs.

Young pullet chickens lay small flavoursome eggs – but because most consumers want medium or large eggs these mini eggs are thrown on the scrapheap or used for liquid egg.

“To me, pullet eggs are a product at its best but we lose so much money on them,” said Susie. “We’re only paid about 48p a dozen and on average we collect 8-10,000 eggs a day – 600,000 a year - from our chickens when they’re first laying. People don’t want these eggs because they’re small but actually pullet eggs have a really big yolk and less white, and are brilliant at holding together when cooked. Everybody believes large eggs are what you need because a recipe says so, but you shouldn’t expect chickens to lay big eggs.

Jamie Oliver added: “The great British public are missing out on a premium, seasonal product and worse - farmers’ livelihoods are on the line. We want to kick start a mini-egg revolution. The supermarkets may not want them, but I reckon farmers could find a market for their huge volume of pullet eggs by selling them to restaurants and pubs.”

And me! I travelled over this morning to Mac's Farm located in Ditchling, Sussex - not sure if they would have any mini eggs left, as the Jamie Oliver programme has helped to stimulate tremendous interest in these little eggs and they have been selling like hot-cakes...


Well, my luck was in. The farm shop had fresh supplies and I purchased 3 x half dozens. What stock the shop has will quickly sell out so I considered myself fortunate to have obtained some.


I know what I'm having for lunch....


1 comment: