Tuesday 17 December 2013

Absolutely got me going...

Listening to a bloke today being interviewed on the radio. He prefaced every response with: "Absolutely..." It sets my teeth on edge. What is wrong with using "Totally" or "Perfectly" for a change or why not answer the question without the use of this irritating adverb?

Whilst I am on the subject of verbal irritants here are a few more:

"To be honest...." What does that mean? That you lie most of the time?
"At the end of the day..." Why are you using this cliché at 9:30am?
"Blue sky thinking..." What is wrong with daydreaming?
"Ticks all the boxes..." really makes me grind my teeth.
"At this moment in time..." while you're talking it has already passed!
"Going forward..." well it's a lot better than going backwards I guess...
"Singing from the same hymn sheet..." I don't sing hymns...

Overused phrases are a barrier to communication. I hear one of these and i am likely to 'tune out'. Like using the word 'like' as if it were a form of punctuation. Good grief....


No comments:

Post a Comment