Friday 20 September 2013

Starlings Gulp, Goldfinches Sip...

Being retired has enormous benefits, not the least that I am able to spend considerable time watching the antics of birds in my garden (without feeling guilty that I have nothing better to do!) I have a number of strategically placed feeders and two bird baths - one hangs in the lilac tree and the other stands on a pedestal. I replace the water regularly.

Watching birds take a bath can be highly amusing, particularly the Starlings Sturnus vulgaris, who can empty a bird bath with their enthusiastic ablutions. Their drinking habits are noticeably different to other birds. Stick their head in the water, throw their neck back, beaks open - and gulp.


Sturnus vulgaris

The Goldfinch Carduelis carduelis on the other hand is rather more dainty, taking gentle sips. And strangely enough I have not yet seen a Goldfinch taking a bath.


Carduelis carduelis

It has been a pleasure this year to see a significant increase in the number of juvenile birds visiting the baths and feeders. Mind you, it's a costly pastime keeping the feeders replenished!

No comments:

Post a Comment