Sunday 24 March 2019

Book #14 Bookworm: A Memoir of Childhood Reading

Bookworm: A Memoir of Childhood ReadingBookworm: A Memoir of Childhood Reading by Lucy Mangan
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I struggled to finish this. The title is captivating as is the cover. But Lucy Mangan and I are poles apart - thirty years or so in age. A woman born in the 70s, a man born in the 40s. In terms of childhood reading then there is little cross pollination. Lucy enjoyed books aimed at girls and me? Different choices. The only books we both read as kids were The Famous Five series and The Secret Seven series by Enid Blyton and rather surprisingly the Just William books by Richmal Crompton. You certainly won't find Anne of Green Gables or What Katy Did amongst my childhood memories! As well as Just William I favoured books aimed at boys: the Jennings books by Anthony Buckeridge, Billy Bunter of Greyfriars School created by Charles Hamilton (writing as Frank Richards), and of course the Biggles books created by Capt. W.E. Johns.

Different childhoods, different memories and much of Lucy Mangan's book was just too boring for me (particularly the heavy use of parenthesis!)

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment