Sunday 6 May 2018

Book #33 The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie SocietyThe Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

What a delight reading The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society has been. I did not want it to end. My wife and I saw the film a short while ago and I just had to get a copy of the book. The film is wonderful; the book more so. Seeing the film first kept the characters in the mind's eye as portrayed by well known actors. The book contains so much more than the film script, although the latter is faithful to the overall story line.

I want to join the society. I want all my friends and family to read this book so that we can continue to discuss it. I want it to go on forever. Is that too romantic a notion? I think not. I will probably read it again. This wonderful society that was a refuge for the islanders during the German occupation. Taking the reader out of our time and place and understanding. Stories of deprivation and heartbreaking memories of concentration camps. But, for all that, filled with characters who you come to love and told in correspondence with the writer, Juliet Ashton from members of the society. Juliet's visit to the island that captures her heart. Whose wouldn't be?

I must go back to Guernsey, take the book with me. Immerse myself once again in these utterly delightful pages. The book is a gem and will stay with me for a long time to come.

Highly recommended.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment