Sunday 1 April 2018

Book #26 A Swollen Red Sun

A Swollen Red SunA Swollen Red Sun by Matthew McBride
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I cannot remember another occasion when I have read a book based on the recommendation of another fictional character! A Swollen Red Sun according to Jack Taylor is in his top ten. I suppose I should thank Ken Bruen...

I enjoy a good thriller but perhaps not so brutal as this. The author, Matthew McBride, lives in rural Missouri. He knows the people of Gasconade County. Well, I trust he doesn't know any of the lowlives that feature here. Meth freaks, dirty cops, the fearsome Reverend Butch Pogue. Deputy Sheriff Dale Banks discovers $52,000 hidden in the broken-down trailer that Jerry Dean Skaggs uses for cooking crystal. Shades of Breaking Bad here. Banks takes the money and sets in motion a spiral of violence and revenge killings. He thinks he took the money for all the right reasons. But there is a consequence. Jerry Dean cannot afford to lose that money - he owes it to his partners....

A desperate tale of corruption, drugs and morality that contains a great deal of gratuitous thuggery.

Not sure I quite agree with you, Jack!

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment