Saturday 8 April 2017

Book #27 The Magdalen Martyrs

The Magdalen Martyrs (Jack Taylor, #3)The Magdalen Martyrs by Ken Bruen
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Back to Jack. Cannot help it. I love Ken Bruen's books - the Jack Taylor series. This is the third. The ex-Garda protagonist, hapless alcoholic, one might say hopeless as well, Jack staggers through life in Galway as a kind of honorary private detective and a mess of a human being. Hired by thugs who recognise his tough-guy bravado. Doesn’t quite work out for Jack, never does. He does get laid; the drugs help. This is real Irish noir. I know there are those that don’t like this series. But I enjoy Jack’s company. He loves reading and festoons his narrative with apt quotes from favourite authors. His hangovers are legendary. But somehow he always finds a way back. And the plot, for what it is, ingeniously incorporates the Magdalen laundry, a notoriously harsh home for wayward girls.

This series is a treat. Number three is dark, bleak and very funny at times. The best so far, for me.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment